23' Sanger Alley Cat redo

SimplyOrange

My jet boat is rounding the corner to completion so I finally had a chance to spend some time on my cat. I recently changed the reeds, lapped the reed blocks, replaced vacuum lines and fixed a fuel leak that was causing one of the motors to run bad, now they run like new.

So this past weekend I got in the interior with the intent to mount fuel separators, new composite battery boxes and redo all of the bilge wiring, while looking at the interior I started to nit pick and I decided I really was not happy with the boat, I want perfection.
I removed the seats, and pulled up the carpet where I found solid dry wood. But there is only 2 layer of resin and it is worn down from use and starting to peel. So I decided I would fill all the holes in the floor, fiberglass the whole floor with epoxy resin and matting/cloth and paint it with rubberized floor coating (yellow with black splatter). Then I’m going to remount new seat shells on aluminum brackets for a clean look and get rid of the heavy wood lounge chairs. The interior sides will be vinyl wrapped.

I also removed the hotfoot and raggity mounting board and am going to install a custom built fiberglass center console with 4 lever top mount offshore controls that I have. While I was under there I noticed the rats nest of a wiring harness. So I started carefully removing that and found that it had been rewired 2 times over its life and nothing was ever removed. So I labeled the wires that are needed and removed ½ of a 5 gallon bucket worth of wiring. I will rewire it later when I install the new gauges.

As always my plan is to keep it light and sleek
I will post parts here that I plan to use, I shop around and always try new items and great prices and ill post them here as I do.

Items gathered so far:

Steering wheel
Epoxy resin
Fiberglass matting
2 composite fuel separators
2 composite battery boxes
Battery selector switch
Offshore controls
10 gang fuse panel
Foot trim switch
2 shift cables

SimplyOrange

a few parts i have already.gonna redo the levers black with yellow handles.i plan to run square looking big boy seat shells(below) they are the cheapest i found anywhere.they also have small drag boat buckets.

links below, pictures for fun.

fuel seperator
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271045810285?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

fuse panel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330760474152?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

steering wheel
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380467945596?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

battery tray
http://www.ebay.com/itm/200817206587?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

seat shells(big boy square and small bucket)
http://www.screamandfly.com/showthread.php?250487-Seat-Shells&highlight=seat+shells

Attachments

• 2012-09-10_18-23-22_491.jpg
    2012-09-10_18-23-22_491.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 549

blazeracer

I was behind the dash on my Glastron today. I though that was a rats nest till I saw these pics!! Wow, that's a sweet ride though. I'll be watching this one.

I used the same battery tray in mine but saved a few bucks from Overtons.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Small-Marine-Battery-Tray-For-24-Series&i=80543&r=view&from=grid

SimplyOrange

blazeracer said:
I was behind the dash on my Glastron today. I though that was a rats nest till I saw these pics!! Wow, that's a sweet ride though. I'll be watching this one.

I used the same battery tray in mine but saved a few bucks from Overtons.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Overtons-Small-Marine-Battery-Tray-For-24-Series&i=80543&r=view&from=grid

composite is the way to go now days, its light and doesnt corrode with salt water like aluminum. i have composite cleats,fuel separators,battery boxes and fuse panel. i found a set of carbon fiber seat shells i may go with if they are still available after the floors are finished.i have about 80 pounds of foam to pull out of the tunnels.

jimsplace

Duanehydro said:
CRAP!!!!! what a mess....lol.... :smile26:

DUANE
If you are more subtle, he might think it is supposed to look like that.
Next time, say what you think and don't hold back. LOL
    clap.gif

SimplyOrange

jimsplace said:
Duanehydro said:
CRAP!!!!! what a mess....lol.... :smile26:

DUANE
If you are more subtle, he might think it is supposed to look like that.
Next time, say what you think and don't hold back. LOL
    clap.gif

actually, that is the before picture, befor i pulled it all out, if you look at the other pic it shows the harness going to each motor pulled from under the dash.none of the gauges are hooked up anymore.

SimplyOrange

was burning time at work, and came up with a little sketch of my interior plans., the floor and middle of the seats are going to be grey.

spd500

Looks cool . I would go with the regular round buckets myself though . I was kinda thinking about something similar to that for a rear bench , but will probably just go with a regular fiberglass rear bench .

SimplyOrange

changed my plans a little, after assessing the floor it is not very flat at all, im going to glass it and just carpet it. made my center console this weekend and it will be wrapped in vinyl with the seats.marine ply wood, stainless wood screws. the face will be made out of aluminum and either polished or painted black, the dash sits flush with the top edge of the face plate.

SimplyOrange

i got in the boat this weekend with plans to patch a few 2-4" holes that were under the tanks, when i stuck a screwdriver in them to clean the foam away to glass in the plugs i hit aluminum....so i cut the floor along the seams and found 2) 35 gallon fuel tanks under the floor on each side, filled with foam and water, because the top of the tanks were open, any water on the floor would run into the old foam filled tanks.  one of the previous idiot owners did this because the top seam on each tank had a long crack in it. so i removed those and all of the foam around them for a weight savings of about 450-500lbs. i have 6 trash bags of "great stuff" type foam i removed. so in going to add 2 braces on each side before i put the floor back, im running above floor tanks now. that may explain why he couldnt get the boat over 88mph

ChryslerJet

SimplyOrange said:
i got in the boat this weekend with plans to patch a few 2-4" holes that were under the tanks, when i stuck a screwdriver in them to clean the foam away to glass in the plugs i hit aluminum....so i cut the floor along the seams and found 2) 35 gallon fuel tanks under the floor on each side, filled with foam and water, because the top of the tanks were open, any water on the floor would run into the old foam filled tanks.  one of the previous idiot owners did this because the top seam on each tank had a long crack in it. so i removed those and all of the foam around them for a weight savings of about 450-500lbs. i have 6 trash bags of "great stuff" type foam i removed. so in going to add 2 braces on each side before i put the floor back, im running above floor tanks now. that may explain why he couldnt get the boat over 88mph
Sounds like you had yerself a backyard mechanic for a PO between the wiring and tanks who knows what else was done.