Work Continues On The Glastron

blazeracer

Spring is near so time to get crack-a-lackin....

My dreaded fear of this step has been holding the project up. This is what I have had nightmares about doing, but finally got it done so work can resume and this thing can get back on the water!! It was actually pretty simple and went smooth as silk. If all goes well it will be back on the trailer Monday afternoon.

Attachments

• SDC12537.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 810
  • SDC12538.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 760
  • SDC12539.JPG
    138.2 KB · Views: 707
  • SDC12540.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 698
  • SDC12542.JPG
    132.4 KB · Views: 667
  • SDC12543.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 286
  • SDC12544.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 295

HammerDown

blazeracer said:

My dreaded fear of this step has been holding the project up. This is what I have had nightmares about doing, but finally got it done so work can resume and this thing can get back on the water!! It was actually pretty simple and went smooth as silk. If all goes well it will be back on the trailer Monday afternoon.

Cool man, whats next? blueprint the bottom?

blazeracer

HammerDown said:
blazeracer said:

Cool man, whats next? blueprint the bottom?

White print with paint.. LOL

Yeah Matt, there is defintely some sand rash there!! I can get a good look at the intake grate now too all bent up.

blazeracer

Got almost half of the rough sanding done before dark and it's amazing how many scratches and gashes only penetrated the grey paint and not the original gelcoat. So far I've found only one gash (that's not on the bottom rib) that will need to be filled with fiberglass filler.

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
Got almost half of the rough sanding done before dark and it's amazing how many scratches and gashes only penetrated the grey paint and not the original gelcoat. So far I've found only one gash (that's not on the bottom rib) that will need to be filled with fiberglass filler.

More pics, you have my interest now. I will eventually flip mine, whenever I have the keel done and I have some pretty good gouges in my sponsons, I'm guess from whisky loading on the trailer. (previous owners of course)

blazeracer

Fixin to head up to the shop now. I need to get this done today so I can get it back on the trailer by Monday. It's in the way for washing refrigerators.

blazeracer

A couple more shots..

The third pic shows the keel all chewed up from beaching it over the years. Filled it in with Bondo Glass and now it's smooth as a baby's butt.... Pic 4

Attachments

• bottom1.jpg
    bottom1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 295
  • bottom2.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 231
  • bottom3.jpg
    bottom3.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 228
  • bottom4.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 283

Crusader

Very cool....

Are you going to build a plastic tent around it when you spray it to keep airborn contaminents from falling onto it?

blazeracer

Sharkbit said:
I've painted a car in a driveway. Just lay it thick so you can sand out the bugs.

X2 what Chad said... Driveway job.. The only part that will get sprayed in a booth is the top side clear coat.

blazeracer

Of course nothing ever goes as planned. Almost the entire bottom was fish-eyed along the runner edges thanks to a crappy paint job previously done. The plan today was to smooth the keel, scuff the rest and shoot it. Well, all those fish eyes had be completely removed. Luckily the air DA sander made quick work of it, but it still took most of the day. BTW, a boat upside down has more surface area to sand than a 70's station wagon!!

120 dry sanding/smoothing is done. Now time for a 220 wet sand.

EDIT, added a pic of the same area after the fish eyes are sanded out.

Attachments

• bottom5.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 236
  • bottom6.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 201

HammerDown

blazeracer said:
Of course nothing ever goes as planned. Almost the entire bottom was fish-eyed along the runner edges thanks to a crappy paint job previously done. The plan today was to smooth the keel, scuff the rest and shoot it. Well, all those fish eyes had be completely removed. Luckily the air DA sander made quick work of it, but it still took most of the day. BTW, a boat upside down has more surface area to sand than a 70's station wagon!!

120 dry sanding/smoothing is done. Now time for a 220 wet sand.

EDIT, added a pic of the same area after the fish eyes are sanded out.

Lookin good, gonna be nice and smooth. Are you having to address any hook issues in the bottom?...if so, nows the time

blazeracer

HammerDown said:
Lookin good, gonna be nice and smooth. Are you having to address any hook issues in the bottom?...if so, nows the time

I was told by a few people to look for the hook once it's upside down. Kudos to Glastron for a very well built hull. It's straight as an arrow. I think the glass is quite a bit thicker on this style boat compared to other race hulls, which is why this pig was so heavy to flip. Probably also why they chose to jump a Glastron in Live And Let Die.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
blazeracer said:
HammerDown said:

I was told by a few people to look for the hook once it's upside down. Kudos to Glastron for a very well built hull. It's straight as an arrow. I think the glass is quite a bit thicker on this style boat compared to other race hulls, which is why this pig was so heavy to flip. Probably also why they chose to jump a Glastron in Live And Let Die.

How did you check it?

blazeracer

Last Mohican said:
How did you check it?

At first I just eye balled it, but since you said something I went ahead and used a 12 foot long MDF shelf from Home Depot that hasn't been installed here in the shop yet. I'm pretty sure the MDF's machine cut is straight. I don't have a metal straight edge that long. Anyway, any hook can only be measured with a feeler gauge.

Attachments

• bottom7.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 226

blazeracer

Can you see the hook by eye looking down it?

This should get rid of your hook..

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/boa/2183100762.html