Can you spot the problem?

chris94l

Can anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with this?

41bd417d.jpg

chris94l

Thats really the only damage I saw.  Think I'm going to throw in a new set of headgaskets and see what happens. Definitely would explain all the excess crankcase pressure.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
The main problem I see is those cheap A$$ nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight. :smile26:  If that head gasket it the only issue you certainly got lucky.  I think I'd get a straight edge and check the block deck and cylinder heads for warpage just to be on the safe side.  How bout a pic of the pistons?

Those gaskets are different than the ones on Chad's 454.  His had holes where those rust spots are at the bottom of the gasket between the cylinders.  You might check you block and heads and see if they are drilled for those steam holes.  I think it was more for the blocks with siamese bores but not 100% sure.

Matt

index.php

Attachments

• 41bd417da.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 314

Last Mohecian

Administrator
Seems like you said the compression reading was down on 5 & 7.  Looking at that gasket it seems like 3 should have been lower than 5.  I'd be sure to inspect everything very closely and run another compression test after the gaskets are on and before you start it.

chris94l

No water in cylinders it blew into the valley. Don't have any pics of the pistons but they don't look hurt. Going to go ahead and pull it down and do both of them. Don't hate on the gloves. And matt I said it was 3 and 7 not 5

chris94l

Finally found the p/n on the gasket.  It was a Felpro 8180PT2.  Was looking at the gasket and noticed it was starting to blow out on number 5 as well. Guy run it lean I'm thinking it was blown before I got it. Have a set of Felpro Z1037 on the way it has the holes you are talking about along the bottom Matt. If everything goes good I expect to have it back out on the water next weekend.

Last Mohecian

Administrator
chris94l said:
Finally found the p/n on the gasket.  It was a Felpro 8180PT2.  Was looking at the gasket and noticed it was starting to blow out on number 5 as well. Guy run it lean I'm thinking it was blown before I got it. Have a set of Felpro Z1037 on the way it has the holes you are talking about along the bottom Matt. If everything goes good I expect to have it back out on the water next weekend.

Good deal.

chris94l

Hopefully this takes care of it.  Check out the new gaskets vs the old, they have the holes in the bottom you were talking about matt.  Not sure this guy had the right HG on it. new ones are Fel-Pro 1037 they are stamped "Performance / Marine"

f1db5818.jpg

Anyone know of a dragster scoop setup for sale?

Last Mohecian

Administrator
chris94l said:
Hopefully this takes care of it.  Check out the new gaskets vs the old, they have the holes in the bottom you were talking about matt.  Not sure this guy had the right HG on it. new ones are Fel-Pro 1037 they are stamped "Performance / Marine"

f1db5818.jpg

Anyone know of a dragster scoop setup for sale?

You get it back together?

neverenuf

That Fel-Pro 8180PT2 is just a cheap stock replacement head gasket......looks like you got the right ones now.

chris94l

Heads back on.  Gotta run the valves and get a new intake. I guess the one I ended up with is for a tall deck... Set a blower on top of it though and it looked dead sexy, might just have to find one of those.

chris94l

If anyone has a line on a BBC std deck rec port intake with dominator flange please let me know.  Need ASAP hoping to be back on the water this weekend.